Sunday, May 20, 2007

Time (or lack thereof)

I obviously have not much to do this month because I seem to be blogging a lot! However, I seem to feel like I don't have any time for myself. This whole getting married and moving out for the first time from home seems to be taking a while to adjust to.

I posted my typical week last month titled "Domesticity". So you can see my usual week is already pretty full on. My weekends don't seem to fare any better. I cannot remember a weekend where I sat at home and was bored, or I could sit down on my couch that we bought and enjoy a book, or a movie or play my PS2 games.

This week leading up to the weekend, I had looked forward to a quiet relaxing time.

On Friday night, we watched "Curse of the Golden Flower" on DVD, with B and my sister. That was pretty good and relaxing, though it was a late night because we had started the DVD late.

Saturday was supposed to be plan-free to do nothing. I ended up going out shopping for a friend's birthday present, coming home for a late lunch, then going over to my parents' to practise the piano because I was playing for church that night! So much for plan-free. I suppose I couldn't complain because I had the opportunity to go search for a present (long story in itself!). But what irritated me was I had looked forward to an afternoon of peaceful bliss where I could read a book, or actually complete a review for a task I had agreed to take on for church.

Today was supposed to be plan-free, but late during last week, we had been invited out to dinner. No problem, I figured I could have the afternoon to do nothing and relax before going out to dinner. Did I relax? Well, if you could call going grocery-shopping after lunch, and then cooking up a curry for the week and cleaning up, hanging out the washing and folding the clean laundry relaxing, then maybe I did have a relaxing day.

After dinner I had to portion my curry into lunch tomorrow, dinner tomorrow and freeze another portion for dinner later in the week. And then wash up.

It is now 10:11pm, and I can finally relax. What happened to my relaxing weekend???? Or the goal of completing the task for the church project?

What is it with our generation? Are we trying to cram too much into our schedules, because I don't think it is just me who is struggling to do too much in too little time. I seem to see my friends less and less, and to organise a group get-together we do it weeks, sometimes months in advance. And then when people organise things and invite us, 70 to 80% of me doesn't want to go because I want "me-time" - time for me to re-group, to meditate on God's Word, to listen to myself, to do the things I enjoy whether it is baking, or making jewellery, or play my PS2, or read, or go for a walk, or get certain things around the house done.

Perhaps it is time I took some "time out". Time out from the city, time out from routine, time out from responsibilities and commitments to events and duties....

2 comments:

adriantai said...

u have a ps2?!? :)

anyway, just wanted to say HI!

SJ said...

yes I do, does that surprise you? ;)