Thursday, May 17, 2007

A Business Mistake

Check out this amazing yummy looking cupcake. Who wouldn't want to buy one of these? (Despite the calories that go with it!) This is a chocolate raspberry cupcake my sister bought from the Red Hill Market a couple weeks ago.

The Red Hill Market happens on the first Saturday of every month except for June to August, which is our winter months. We specifically made a trip there on the first Saturday of May to have a walk around and check out what the market had.

One of the things that got us all excited, including our mum, was this stall that sold fabulous cupcakes. It was all so prettily decorated.

So we went in to take a look and maybe make a purchase. We looked around for prices for the cupcakes - there were none. So we did what any normal person with common sense would do - we asked the manager behind the counter. Only to be met by one rude impatient man. Mum and I walked off immediately. Only my sister had the patience to actually purchase one.

They lost a sale of at least $7.00 that day, maybe more. I was going to buy at least 2 and my mum may have also bought more. If others had been as put off by their service, they may have lost even more.

I decided that it wasn't very hard to make cupcakes, after all, I made some for myself only a few months ago. I only needed inspiration to decorate the cupcakes, hence I took a photo of the stall.

All the stall managers needed to do, was set up a price list, or a simple sign that said, "Cupcakes - $3.50 each". And that would eliminate all the annoying questions from potential customers about how much the cupcakes are. That would save the customers from asking, and the managers from having to answer about 100 times that morning.

Business looked good for that stall that day, but a simple sign may have made business even better.

No comments: