Monday, May 14, 2007

Mother's Day

There is a day every year that is set aside especially for us to honour our mothers. I don't like the fact that it has become so commercialised - retailers sell cards, flowers, they market products all for Mother's Day. To me, Mother's Day should be every day, we should love and honour our mothers every day, not just one day in the year.

Anyway, despite it all, I decided I would cook dinner for my mummy. B and I bought fresh oysters and cooked prawns, and served them cold, the oysters natural, as entree.



For the mains, I cooked osso bucco (veal shanks) with tomato, rosemary and red wine. The recipe also used beef stock. Check out the pot as I had just combined browned osso bucco into the stock:

After simmering for an hour, and making potato mash, here is the result:

The osso bucco was quite tasty, thanks to the red wine. However I should have probably let it simmer for a bit longer so that the meat would fall off the bone.

And for dessert, my very first attempt at my favourite, the lemon tart:

The filling in the lemon tart was perfect. The pastry however needed probably another five minutes in the oven, and probably a bit higher in the tin because the filling seeped through and went around the outside of the pastry.

Anyway, my family was very kind to my cooking, they were not as critical as I was of my own cooking. And my wonderful sister came earlier to help me prepare dinner. It was exhausting, but it was a fun to spoil my mummy with a home-cooked dinner once in a while.

No comments: