Then there was "Or Chien", which is an omelette with oysters. It was delicious, but unfortunately, due to my enthusiasm at the dish (one of my favourites from my childhood) and much to my chagrin, I forgot to take a photo of it!
The mains came along, we had these with steamed rice. The stir fried chicken had a lovely tangy and sweet flavour infused with basil (don't I sound like a food critic!). It was non-spicy, probably the only one that wasn't.There was also a Thai green curry with prawns - I love green curries for the aromatic coconut flavour. However, too much coconut milk makes me ill. In fact, too much of anything rich makes me ill, which is a bit unfortunate considering all wonderfully tasting foods are a bit rich.
We also had a lovely rendang, which is basically beef cooked in all sorts of spices. It is not like a curry because it is dry, however, it can be quite spicy. This one that we had was not as spicy as expected, but good nonetheless. I like anything with beef, as long as the beef is tender and not overdone.
This was followed by a wonderful fish curry, which my mother liked very much. It had some very fresh vegetables in it, like zucchini (I learned last night that zucchini in curries work!), tomatoes, onion, okra would work too, (but I cannot remember if there was any in there). Though I thought the dish was great, I also thought my mum could replicate it. I am blessed with a mother who is also a good cook, when she puts her mind to it, and when she does not cut back the oil, the salt and the sugar for health reasons! 
All in all, it was a great night of gastronomical delights. Can't wait till the next good food encounter.

No comments:
Post a Comment