Monday, January 29, 2007

Seared Salmon

I am really enjoying experimenting in the kitchen, and because I am new at this, I look for recipes that are easy to follow, with everyday ingredients.

I was having my long-time primary school friend GC, over for a meal last Saturday night. And I had stumbled on the recipe for seared salmon a couple of weeks earlier. So, what better excuse to try out the following recipe:


Seared salmon, asparagus and tomato salsa. (Serves 2)

Ingredients

  • 2 x 200g salmon steaks (I used 3, as obviously, I had to feed 3 people)
  • 1 bunch green asparagus
  • 4 ripe tomatoes
  • 1 bunch green basil
  • 200ml extra virgin olive oil
  • pinch sea salt
  • cracked pepper

Method

Pre heat oven to 180 degrees and put a small saucepan of salted water on to boil. Cut tomatoes length-ways into quarters and remove seeds, dice finely then place in to a small bowl. Remove basil leaves from stalks, slice finely and add to tomatoes, add cracked pepper and salt to taste drizzle with small amount of oil and leave to infuse.

Put a heavy-based frying pan on to heat. Season salmon and lightly flour to stop the skin from sticking to the pan. Pour about 1 teaspoon of olive oil into pan and gently place the fish skin side down. After around 2 minutes when skin is crisp, turn over and place into oven for around 4- 5 minutes, as it should be served medium rare. I placed the salmon on oven trays rather than put the whole pan in the oven. Remove and rest. Trim woody ends from asparagus and put in to boiling salted water for around 2 minutes, remove and drain. Place 4-5 asparagus spears in the centre of the plate, top with salmon. Take tomato/ basil salsa and spoon over fish and drizzle some of the remaining oil around. Serve immediately.

Enjoy! Let me know how you go if you try this. :) The above photo is the result of what I had prepared.

4 comments:

Dean Arif said...

Hello there! Sorry, haven't been online lately...

What a sight! Cupcakes and seared salmon. I might just try it when my non-vegetarian friends drop by for a visit.

I'll update my blog this Friday and thanks for the short note in my gmail to check on me...

SJ said...

Hey Dean,
Good to hear u are alive and kicking! :) It has been a while! Look forward to what you've been up to!

SJ said...

I meant, "reading about what you've been up to!"

Shin Yee said...

hihi.. i think i'll try that recipe next week too .. looks real good :)